Warranty dilemma

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 13:58:24 EDT

In a message dated 4/15/01 12:33:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM writes:

> Has anyone else seen this or other Baldwin grand deteriorate
> to this state in 7 years? Even in less than optimum conditions.

Yes, I have.  In general, I am against the categorical badmouthing of any
particular brand of piano.  You may have seen me defend Kimball many times,
for example.  Most poorly made pianos no longer exist, so there aren't many
left to gripe about (although the other name mentioned recently, Horugel, may
also be in this category).

The Baldwin B and C series is an exception to this, however, in my book.
This, in spite of some good words recently by Ron N.  In my opinion, this was
an attempt to build a cheap piano but have the long standing, generally good
reputation of the name, Baldwin on it.

The company should have learned by now that there is no market for that.  It
would simply be better to have an Electronic Keyboard.  Particularly, having
a PianoDisc system in an instrument that cannot take anymore than the most
light and casual playing was a big mistake, probably made upon even worse
advice.

The piano is still under warranty, so it deserves either a new pinblock or
some other kind of lasting alternative.  Even if it does get it, by the time
the piano is out of warranty, it will become quite obvious that such a repair
was not worth doing.

The economic news from Baldwin has been very bad in recent years and worse in
recent months.  The company has been on a long, downhill slide for quite a
few years and has recently sold off major holdings just to stop some of its
tremendous losses.

I'm afraid that the warranty claims on the B and C series may be the nail in
Baldwin's coffin.  If anything, the company should just give up trying to
build cheap pianos and do what Mason & Hamlin is doing, build only the
highest quality grand pianos (and possibly retain the Hamilton Studio
vertical) it can to a small, select market.

Something tells me that corporate greed and high rolling will prevail over
sound reasoning, however and we are going to see a big, beached whale belly
up within a year or two.  I'm glad for Kent Webb's sake that he got out while
he still could.

DON'T BUY BALDWIN STOCK!

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin