Steinway Sustain

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 08:48:06 -0700

Make sure you have nothing in the duplex waste areas...no bushing cloth for
zings etc.  I have improved sustain with deep needling in the shoulders if
they are hard.  I am tending to not needle much on the surface these
days...Try a heavy mixture of hardner to the lower shoulders...these need
to be solid for the springiness of the shoulders to work against...

Related question not necessarily for this piano:  If the downbearing in
this area was a little excessive would shimming the duplex bars possibly
help sustain?

David I.