Steinway Sustain

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 08:39:04 -0700

    Tony, just about every time I see this "hard attack- poor sustain" =
situation, it's because the hammer has no resilience. If I do some =
serious shoulder needling, fairly deep, and keep away from the strike =
point, it almost always gives me more sustain. Surface needling won't do =
it, and has the most effect on the crown, that will soften the tone, but =
won't do much of anything for the sustain. On the smaller hammers in the =
treble, I use a single needle, thin, and about 1/4 inch to 3/8ths inch =
long.=20
    Of course, mating strings, regulation, and all that is necessary =
too, but speaking just about sustain, the hammer needs "bounce". Also, =
make sure the downbearing is OK, and that there's not a problem there, =
but there probably isn't.
    Just my two cents worth.

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tony Caught=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2001 1:04 AM
  Subject: Steinway Sustain

  Hi List,

  There are some of you out there that would know the answer to this =
problem. Need help.

  Steinway D model, about 18 years old. This piano has always had a =
problem in the treble from about F5 to B6.  Tone is hard and sustain is =
short.

  Over the years I have tried voicing the hammers and can balance the =
tone, but, to the expense of the sustain, this drops of even more.

  Today I had a note left by the visiting European pianist,  Michael =
Leuschner (prior to my visit) asking that I voice the treble, especially =
between B & B. "The sound is hard and doesn't last long enough" B6 isn't =
bad.

  I needled the surface area to even out the tone through this area and =
the pianist was happy with the result (needs this area as he is playing =
Mozart & Chopin) but, I really want to fix this problem and because I =
now have a note from the 'teacher' I have an excuse to fix it.

  What is the problem ?  I have my thoughts but I only work on 1 =
Steinway, some one must know what is causing this to happen.

  Regards

  Tony Caught ICPTG
  Australia
  caute@optusnet.com.au