Warranty dilemma

Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM Ritchiepiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:32:33 EDT

List
First time call - to tune and inspect a 7 yr. old Baldwin
model C "Classic" grand. The piano was purchased new
and has a dealer installed Piano Disc system.
The instrument is in one of the more affluent areas of the city.
The piano is not tunable due to loose pins/  Read: very loose
E below mid C   0-lb. torque. I do know of the previous tuners.
The humidity at the home was very low 25 percent the day of
inspection. There is steam/ boiler heat, the piano was close
to radiators. Not the best location, but I have seen worse and
of course, I explained DC systems & humidity control and all
of the consequences to client, alluding to that contributing to
the problem. The client says she has always complained
(to the dealer) that the piano did not stay in tune. Got extra
free tunings the first year.
I have two questions and any input is welcome

Has anyone else seen this or other Baldwin grand deteriorate
to this state in 7 years? Even in less than optimum conditions.

Would you immediately assume this is the clients problem or
would you assume this is Dealer/manufacture problem?
Trying to be impartial what stance do you take.

Mark Ritchie RPT
Ohio