ok, I give up

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 21:04:54 -0400

Another thought I had after reading Allan's post Andrew is this: I have =
been servicing a Baldwin R for an elderly lady for several years now for =
free. She is a very accomplished pianist. She was the first good pianist =
I had the opportunity to do work for. I sought her out. A new tech (I =
have only been in this business three years) has VERY little opportunity =
to do higher level work for a piano owner who knows what he/she is =
looking for. The feedback that an advanced pianist can give a newbie =
tech (for me anyway) is extremely valuable, and possibly worth doing a =
significant amount of work for free. I have been tuning her piano(s) =
(she actually has two grands - but I won't touch fixing the other POS) =
and did a light rebuild/serious refurbish of her action to take it from =
a 70 to 90 gram DW Mack truck to a featherweight 45 to 50 grams DW with =
acceptable repetition (she had a disease in her hands that require an =
excessively light action). I have learned so much from working on her =
piano.

Anyway, obviously the point is perhaps you could find a newbie tech in =
your area that is SERIOUS about learning/honing some hi-end skills. It =
might be risky (he/she might be a boob), but it could be good for both =
parties. Just a thought.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida