Hourly rate

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 09:17:09 -0400

Clyde said:

>In this part of the country people are pretty frugal.  Thoughts?

yes..I live in the land of Fixed Income. I have the 2nd highest tuning rate
in the area(that I am aware of) and I do well, thank you.

Most of my new customers, if they're not coming from the dealership, come
from satisfied customers..so much in fact that my Yellow Pages ad has gone
from a 1" ad to a 1 line add.

This is an interesting thread.

 For the longest time, I felt I had to be on the low end of the scale to get
the work..I was inexperienced and building my business..as I gained more
confidence in my work and as my rates
 increased, so has my database and I have NOT lost any 'good' customers to
cheaper techs.

Sometimes I want to 'help' those _tire kickers_ out there looking for the
cheapest rate by giving them the names and numbers of techs that I am pretty
sure charge less than me, but that's not good business..when they call and
ask my price, and then say, "oh my...etc.etc." I know, as most of us do,
that we're probably NOT going to get that piano to work on..and I am sure
many of us don't have the time to deal with a piano that has been neglicted
for xxx amount of years and the customer wants us to do it for practically
free....and then there are some people who call that know that their piano
has not had the proper service and ask a few questions..I like them..I'll
give them as much and more info as possible..because they 'appear' to be
admitting, at least on the surface, that they know they've been
neglectful..at the end of the conversation, if they choose to hire me or not
makes no difference..I have just done my part to educate a potential
customer...I can sleep at night.

Be happy..be profitable...they work together.
roo($)

ps - model your business off of a business in your area that has a good
reputation..or talk to Randy Potter..he's proof-positive that it can be done
profitably.