Hourly rate

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 00:19:31 -0500

Bubba Ron,
I gotta take exception here- I've heard this gospel more often than you've
heard tapping strings down on the bridge is a good thing. No matter what you
charge, a percentage of your customers will think you charge more than you are
worth and it is a fairly high percentage in some cases. That's okay when you
remember Business 101- eighty percent of your business comes from twenty
percent of your customer base. Think about it. That twenty percent is what I am
concerned with though I tolerate the other eighty percent relatively well at
this point because when you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose. As
right as you are about every thing else, I cannot conceive of a technician with
basic skills in business and piano technology starving unless they didn't
charge enough. As a former business class teacher I gotta tell you that there
are more myths about what it takes to be successful than what it takes to build
a decent soundboard plus an equal number of absurd, groundless rationales for a
consistent lack of vision, innovation and perseverance.
Charge what you think you are worth and make a living. Charge more than what
you think you are worth and make a life with goals to met and exceeded- both
technical, monetary and educational. Gee, I am starting to sound like a Voicing
Tool newsletter, I better stop and take my medication.

Best regards,
Dale
Dale Probst, RPT
		Member, TEAM2001