Where's the engineer? - was string seating - was bridge caps

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 21:18:56 EDT

In a message dated 4/13/2001 7:04:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca writes:

<<  I
 year or so ago I had some special brass bridge punches made up, and have
 been tapping bridge pins to remove false beats, >>

In my humble opinion and experience so far,  this is the first and primary
(if not the only) tapping that should be necessary other than minor seating
(pace RN). It clears up a myriad of ills simply to tap the bridge pin
straight down in the direction it is entering the bridge, carrying the string
itself back into firmer contact with the bridge.
I have also experimented with very gentle tapping of the bridge pin in the
fore and aft direction to clear up false beats, but only if there is nothing
else that can be done at that juncture.
PR-J