Yeah, Taxes

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 21:09:43 EDT

In a message dated 4/13/01 8:31:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kellybill_m@hotmail.com writes:

> I am new to the sport and am curious about a couple of tax items.  From a
> previous (and continuing) business of mine in photography, as a sole
> proprieter, I have used the Accrual accounting method in which I have to do
> a physical inventory of all my prints, frames, et cetera.
>
> Since 2001 will likely be the first year I can call myself a professional
> technician, I am curious how we deal with all the little items like
> punchings, pins, et cetera that will likely be billed as parts for repairs
> we do, and therefore would seem to be candidates for a physical inventory
> at the end of the year.  Somehow though, that seems a bit rediculous to me.
>  I can just visiualize a bunch of technicians getting together at their PTG
> chapter meetings to have a punching counting tax party.  Any help in
> knowing what we call supplies, vs. inventory, as well as whether or not any
> sort of physical counting is done would be appreciated.
>
> William R. Monroe
> Associate Member, PTG
> Soon to be SLC, UT

Switch to the cash method of accounting, then you do not have to deal with
inventory  counting. The question is asked on your Schedule C.  Accrual is
necessary if you have retail store but not if you have a shop full of parts.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR
www.davespianoworks.locality.com