ok, I give up

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 16:30:32 EDT

In a message dated 4/13/2001 2:12:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
AAKStar@AOL.COM writes:

<<
 I cannot and I repeat, cannot pay a technician to come to my house and do
the
 $2000 worth of servicing required to regulate my piano. I dont have a job
and
 my mother doesnt want to pay for this. So, my only alternative is to do it
 myself.

 So, if I cant lacquer the keys, what CAN I do by myself by reading a book? I
 mean, there has to be some adjustments that I can make that are easy enough
 to do without a technician's supervision, right? Why would Reblitz sell a
 book if he had no intention of allowing hobbyists do some work on their own?

 Can I at least tune the piano (with practice) by myself, by reading this
book?

 Please help. I am sick and tired of playing on my crappy L Steinway that
 plays at 20% of its potential.

Mr. Koo:
I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with your piano. The costs for
having such exacting work done are, as you say, high, but no higher than they
should be. Perhaps you could find a technician who would be willing to work
with you over time and spread the costs? Since you are a performance pianist,
and you are working with a SW-L, perhaps you need to think about the
requirements for this and the associated costs as the necessary pricetag for
your endeavor. Perhaps you already have and that's why you are so frustrated.
Let me assure that you will become significantly more frustrated if you
decide to begin working on your piano by yourself. What is now a piano
playing at 20% of its potential will quickly become less as you go through
the processes of learning how to work with all of the parts and tools
necessary to do GOOD work. You will end up calling back the technician and
having to find a way to pay much more than you originally would have. I mean
this in all kindness, by the way. I am sympathetic to your plight; but I
seriously recommend that you stick to your area of expertise. Don't let that
discourage you from learning gradually how to work on pianos, joining the
PTG, interacting with others to learn more, and becoming profficient over the
years; but it IS years.

Please feel free to address me personally if you wish (motsphere@aol.com).
Paul Revenk0-Jones