Chickering brass flanges

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:57:46 EDT

<<"I have never tried the heat treatment. Anyone with some suggestions, or is
willing to do it?">>

Wim;
 If you will recall two years ago (?) I reported on a Chickering rebuild with
a set of these thingees.  There were numerous cracked hammer flanges and all
of the rest were very brittle. I annealed the ones without cracks and
verrrrry carefully annealed and silver soldered the ones with cracks.
Results so far on the work is that this piano is used by three youngsters
taking music lessons and so far is standing up very well...i.e. no cracked
flanges. :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)
Note: This work was a "restoration" vs a 'rebuild' and that is what lead to
the effort to save the flanges.