Pin Driving Fluid

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 18:18:55 +0930

Love what you are saying saying but its too hard to read. Sorry

Tony Caught ICPTG
Australia
caute@optusnet.com.au
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joseph Garrett=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2001 2:23 AM
  Subject: Pin Driving Fluid

  List,
  Several years ago, I did some tests on "Pin Driving Fluid". I used an =
old 5 ply scrap of pinblock, similar to Bolduc stock. On several I =
intentionally drilled way undersize, drilling two holes of each size, (I =
use English, Letter and Metric bits. Chart available on request.) I =
swabbed one of the holes with "Phenolic Varnish", from Rodda Paint and =
left the other hole dry. I sized the tuning pins with a micrometer to =
ascertain exactness. I then drove the pins to the height they would =
normally be if in an "exposed" pin block. Then I waited an hour. After =
the hour, I took my trusty Inch Pound Torque Wrench and attempted to =
measure the lot. I found that ALL of the pins that were swabbed with the =
"Pin Driving Fluid" were consistantly smoother. Also, they had less =
propensity(?) to "pop" and had a lower torque than those driven "dry". =
Several of the "dry" pins actually broke(!), where the pins with "PDF", =
in the same size holes, DID NOT! Needless to say, I have been using Pin =
Driving Fluid, religously, since. Hope this helps. By the way the =
"Phenolic Varnish" "#1067-S1", from Rhodda Paints, does not have the =
added "Driers" in it that regualr "Spar Varnish" does. I found this out =
by furnishing a sample of my last bottle of Trefz Pin Driving Fluid, for =
analysis by Rhodda's chemist. It's my opinion that regular Spar Varnish, =
although "less bad" than driving "dry", it does not do the job as well =
and I've found that poppy pins are more prevalent.
  Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)