To tune or not to tune?

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:52:00 -0700 (PDT)

I tuned my 88-year-old Ricca & Son and it seems to be
doing OK.  Since then I've broken a string at each
(both) end(s) of the bass bridge, and the bass bridge
has some small cracks around the bridge pins.

Also I took off the bass strings and cleaned them one
by one, replacing them on the pins and twisting them,
which loosened the pins a bit, but it still seems to
hold its tune somewhat.  I tuned it about 3 weeks ago
and it will probably be due in maybe less than 5 weeks
for another tuning (I'm pretty sure it's my
inexperienced hammer / pin setting technique).