hard grand hammers

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Thu, 05 Apr 2001 03:35:12 -0000

You can wash excess lacquer deeper in to the hammer and away from the crown
with an acetone application.  You don't need to assist it with a vacuum
device?.  The amount you use will vary depending on the lacquer content of
the hammer and your goal.  It is not, however, a perfect solution for over
lacquered hammers.  A solid mass of lacquer deep in the hammer has a way of
destroying any resilience and tends to create a kind of thuddy tone, at
least in my experience.  I don't know about acetone on Japanese hammers.
Alcohol or steam seem to be the applications of choice these days.  And
then, there's always needles!?!?!?!?

David Love