Bridge caps

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 03 Apr 2001 11:56:33 -0500

>Hi Ron,
>          Your observations give an excellent eplaination of why there is a
>need to seat strings periodically on performance piano's.

Not as far as I'm concerned. I don't advocate seating strings with tuning.
I consider it to be abusive to the bridge. If it's absolutely imperative
the piano be perfect, it seems only reasonable to expect the environment to
be just as perfect so the bridge won't move in the first place. Why is it
expected of the tuner to come up with some magic way of making years of
climatic abuse miraculously disappear long enough to get through a
performance, and why would the tuner do something to the long term
detriment of the instrument to support the illusion that everything is
under control? Sorry, count me out on that one.

 >You really got me thinking. (Ouch it hurts.)

Be brave Roger, I'm told it's a character builder (though that may be open
to debate too before this is over <G>).

>I wonder what the change of dimension is on the pin for a 15F swing in
>temperature.
>Roger

Don't stop thinking now. Even an ex-engineer can take a few minutes to look
up expansion coefficients if he really wants to know.

Ron N