need knabe infor (2nd request)

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 11:38:41 EDT

Hi, Wim,

In a message dated 4/2/01 6:32:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Wimblees@AOL.COM
writes:

<< I posted this on the list a couple of weeks ago, and the only reply I got
was
 about the rosewood finish. Any one out there can help me with some of the
 other requests, like the legs and history?>>

A few years ago I handled the refinish/restringing vending on an early 90's
6' Knabe mahogany three-bridge type for a client - my shop was down at that
time.   It was a real beauty, and remains in town.   In the next couple of
months I may be tuning it, and can take a roll of pictures for you (for me
too, since I enjoy this type of thing).  I could put them up on my website
when I'm done, as well as send you jpg's.  If I get to it sooner I'll let you
know.  It is completely original cabinet-wise.

I know that finishers will finish rosewood in lacquer, but the grain is deep
and very narrow, so paste-filling is a pain;  and the oil in rosewood makes
lacquer adhesion trickier, but I have a rosewood Steinway finished in lacquer
which seems to be holding up well.

Bill Shull,  RPT

 Wim

 A year ago a customer bought a rosewood 1892 6' Knabe grand. The piano was
 restrung, and new damper felts and new hammers about 15 years ago. At that
 time it was also refinished, but now the finish is fading. Some parts of the
 case and top are a dark red, others a lighter brown. Who ever refinished and
 restrung the piano took off the original legs and lyre, and replaced them
 with straight legs and normal lyre. Now she wants to have the case
 refinished, the action regulated, but more important, the original legs and
 lyre put back on. The music desk was also replaced, but it at least has a
 nice design. She wants this to be original also.

 Is there a secret to refinishing rosewood? I heard that you don't lacquer
 rosewood, that you just use tung oil. Any truth to that?

 As I said, she wants the original legs, or legs that look as original as
 possible. Does any one have pictures of an old Knabe with original legs?
Does
 anyone have old Knabe legs just sitting around? Does any one know where I
 might find some? I know Geers has lots of old legs, but are they from
Knabe's?

 She also wants to find the history of Knabe. Is there an archive somewhere
 she can log onto for this information?

 Willem