Bridge caps

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 18:23:18 EDT

In a message dated 4/2/2001 2:56:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
RNossaman@KSCABLE.com writes:

<< But the pin depth in the bridge is for mechanical support, not energy
 transfer. All the energy stuff happens right there at the termination
 point. That's not an impedance concern. >>

I couldn't disagree more. This, FWIW, is also an unsupported speculation. We
are talking about a complex termination here, with the string contact on both
the surface of the bridge at a tangent point to the diameter of the string
and on the pin at a position above the bridge plane depending on the gauge of
wire and angle of pin. To say that the pin depth has nothing to do with
energy transfer is totally counterintuitive. And it is an impedance concern;
any analysis of the Wapin structure would lead to impedance concerns. What
exactly impedance concerns, I can't say for sure yet, nor can they, but
obviously the decoupling effect of changing the angle of the bridge pin and
having a higher contact point on the pin with the string is causing a sustain
change, read impedance effect. To clarify myself (like butter?) a bit more, I
don't think we're talking about huge energy concerns here; minute ones at
best, but still energy transfer. Aside from intuition, my real experience has
been that deeply driven, bottomed, and least expose pin top structures have
greater clarity of tone production than any with these and other variables
not in evidence. I can only go on what experience has been proving to me time
and time again as we try to get better at what we do.

As far as the unsatisfactory nature of intuition, I can't say. :)
PR-J