Bridge caps

ANRPiano@AOL.COM ANRPiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 11:29:21 EDT

In a message dated 3/31/2001 9:49:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM writes:

<< the tops are filed
 down to a perfectly even height which should be no greater than the diameter
 of the string which contacts it. This way, we get as much of the pin in the
 bridge as possible, yet have just enough dimension left for evening out and
 getting rid excess pin height which leads to energy-leaking.
 PR-J >>

Paul,

I would be interested in any research/references relating to this.  I have
heard about keeping the pins close to the height of the strings, but never
this short.  I have seen everything from the top of the string matching the
top of the pin to the pin being 1/8 to 3/16 over the top of the bridge on all
different quality levels of pianos.

This would make sense if your saying energy bleeds off the top of the pin.
Is that what you mean? And do you think this is a significant amount of
energy?

Thanks for you input,

Andrew Remillard