Acoutic VS Electric Pianos

Mon, 30 Oct 2000 22:48:10 +0100

Glenn Grafton wrote:

> I say can folks though that the days of digital pianos not sounding as good
> as acoustic pianos are over with several brands-not suggesting that they're
> as good as a grand. I would suggest you take the time to try out the new
> Techncis SXPC-25 digital piano. This sells for about the same as your
> average used Aeolian spinet piano in decent shape does. Take a listen and
> try it out sometime-the sound is unlike a low end spinet is simply
> awesome-compareable to a lot of 6' grands-really.
>
> Most readers of this list are not going to be subjective at all about the
> viability of a digital piano, as livelyhoods depend on acoustic pianos, but
> that's as I see it.

I have to sadly aggree with this posting pretty much 100 %. I understand fully
that lovers of acoustic music will probably always scoff at these electronic
imposters, and to a large degree I would aggree with that sentiment. But personal
opinion is one thing, and reality is another. Todays better digipianos heard in a
rock and roll band blasting away are nearly impossible to discern from an
acoustic piano mic'd such that it can compete with the rest of the band. And if
they do not after our own judgement truly do the acoustic origional justice,
neither do they sound awfull in any sense of the word.

These things offer a portability and ease of maintance that acoustic pianos can
never achieve, and when they sound "good enough" our industry is going to
experience quite a change me thinks.

And as I have said before... just because I recognize all this doesnt mean I like
it.. grin.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.