"guarantee...?"

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:05:19 -0500

Terry,

It sounds to me like you handled it pretty well.  I have a couple thoughts.

This situation brings to mind something that happened to me last year.  On May
10 I tuned a little church's piano, and on June 22 I got a complaint that
several notes sounded out of tune.  I was dubious but agreed to call back and
check it out.  Indeed, for no reason I can explain, one of the E5 strings was
wildly out of tune.  I was quite embarrassed, fixed the offending note and
retuned the whole piano at no charge.  Is there a chance that this may have
happened in your situation as well?

I'm also thinking that when I have clients who've left their pianos go 180 cents
flat, they don't generally hear a little slippage that occurs over three
months.  Could it be that he is listening to the beats of the thirds or
something, and mistaking that for out-of-tuneness?

In relation to "guaranteeing" my tunings, if I am called within a month or so (a
rare occurrence), I usually go out to see what the problem is and have done
retunings or touchups at no additional charge, but that usually includes a
little education also.

In one case, I had tuned in July, when the air conditioner was on.  Two months
later I got a complaint, and when I went back, the piano was wildly sharp in the
tenor, during a cool humid September streak when the air conditioner was off.  I
charged half, although I should have charged the full price, because the tuning
change was due to no fault of mine.  The piano needed a humidity control
system.  But there are times when it's worth it to give a little free time just
to preserve goodwill.

Regards, Clyde