I almost tuned ET!

Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:15:51 +0100

"Kevin E. Ramsey RPT" wrote:

>     Look guy, I've been hesitating to write you, but I re-read this post and
> had to reply. You have a habit of being obnoxious in your entries to the
> list. Look, I'm an RPT, and I scored 98% on the tuning exam. I know how to
> tune, I do concert tunings every day, I know what a piano is supposed to
> sound like. Maybe not by your definition, but by the rest of the world's.
> Get off you high horse, bud.

Sounds to me like you are putting yourself in exactly the same boat you accuse
Bill of floating around in. To use your own expression...grin... Look bud, the
piano is not supposed to sound any other way then how the tuner set out to make
it sound. And the rest of the world is fully capable of speaking for itself
thankyou. As for your judgement as to what it is saying... grin.. I think you
better get your ears checked. Or you better start playing closer attention to
the world as it is rather then the one you choose to see. Fact is that we are
simply talking about different combinations of sounds that any particular
musician can have at their disposal should they wish. And the desire for more
then what ET can offer is indeed growing. You dont want to be able to provide
them with these is ok... that you wish to criticize others for defending the use
of HT is...well... not ok.

> Yes, I've done historical tunings, and they are
> different, but when I tune for a concert, not knowing what keys they will be
> played in, I tune ET. Invariably, someone will come out, and play in G flat,
> and it sounds beautiful. Also, I use the SAT 11. I use it as a tool,, not
> trusting what it's trying to give me, but using it to more accurately give
> me what I'm after. When I give an institute lecture on how I do this, I'll
> personally invite you, and you can take all the cheap shots that you like.
> I'll have answers for them all.

Hmm... why doesnt that suprise me.. grin

> Kevin E. Ramsey, R.P.T.
> Phoenix, Arizona
> ramsey@extremezone.com

Richard Brekne