Removing key bushings - an observation

Douglasmahard@AOL.COM Douglasmahard@AOL.COM
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:15:44 EDT

Hi all,

Upon removing a set of key bushings yesterday I stumbled onto a technique
that made the bushings let go much faster.  My usual technique is to soak the
bushings with a H2O/Wallpaper remover mix and then us a caul in a soldering
iron to steam them out.  This method in itself works pretty good and that's
is what I was doing.  However, my caul was loading up with old felt fragments
and I had to take time to scrape the caul clean every 4th key or so.  I
thought if I stuck the caul in a jar of water perhaps the sticky old felt
will come off by itself or scrape off easier.  Well, it scraped off easier
but I also noticed that the bushings were coming out a lot faster too.  Every
other key I was dipping the caul in cold water and the bushings released
immediately upon insertion into the mortise.  I had a reostat hooked to the
soldering iron set on a little more then half way.

It will be interesting to try this on the next bushing job to see if it
happens again.

Doug Mahard