explaining Pitch raise....

Kurt Matthies kwgm@MESAINTERACTIVE.COM
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:11:43 -0600

I stand with a foot in both worlds, as a rank amateur technician and as a
customer.

As a businessman, I understand the nature of this thread. How to get
customers to perceive value.

As a customer, I don't like the tone of this discussion...sounds too
manipulative.

Keep it simple. Explain that a normal tuning takes about an hour and a half
and cost $x. If the piano has been neglected for a number of years it may
need a "pitch-raise", and to make this stable requires an additional hour,
because you have to tune the piano twice essentially. This requires extra
time and therefore costs more, $x + $y.

People understand that taking more time costs more. Try to keep the
technical mumbo-jumbo to a minimum. It can ring of selling snake oil if
you're not careful.

--kwgm
Kurt W.G. Matthies