voicing with pliers

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 06:13:04 -0500

Hi Ric,
I have used small Vice Grip pliers for this, I think they are four inches or
so long. They are in my kit for a variety of uses- the cutter will cut piano
wire well incidently. With the adjustable stop built in the handle. Not
trying to cut into your sales, just makes for one less thing to carry in the
house. Can you tell my kit is getting too heavy? :)
BTW, the technical theme for Reno this year is voicing for those who are
interested. We will have voicing tutoring from basic to advanced, a new idea
for this year. Space is limited so get your registrations in early.

Best,
Dale
Dale Probst, RPT
Member, TEAM20001
PTG Annual Convention
Reno, NV --July 11-15, 2000
email: wardprobst@cst.net
(940)691-3682 voice
(940) 691-6843 fax
TEAM2001 website: http://www.equaltemperament.com/PTG/

I heard the shoulders should be firm so the hammer wouldn't flatten but what
do they know whom I read?     With these discussions on "radical voicing"
like steaming, wool softener, and massive needling I am wondering if voicing
pliers should be reconsidered?   My teacher ground down a linesman pliers so
it "pinched" (from the sides)  the hammer very well.   One picture is worth
a thousand words, suffice it to say the jaws ground narrower at the tips and
wider towards the cutter. (now you really want a picture, I will try)  There
was also a limiting device so you couldn't squeeze too hard but I soon got
rid of that as I could tell better by the feel what was going on.
    These pliers should work best on chemically hardened hammers and "nubs"
hammers filed 3 or 4 times, I can vouch for nubs.   Actually the common slip
joint pliers should work as well.   For the first 3 people who ask  I will
send them out for $7.00 post paid.   If I get accolades then they should be
worth $15.00 + S&H .  Then I should figure out how to do a set that will
squeeze hammers in uprights without taking the action out ---ric