tuning question

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 07:45:59 -0400

I know what the problem is! You are tuning too fast. You pitch raised
(major, HA! - that was a world record!) a piano 600 cents and fine tuned it
in just under two hours? You gotta be bionic. Are you for rent?

On a more serious note, is there a typo here? If not, please shed some light
on your technique. (I am being serious here.) I am still in the
under-1,000-piano-tuning-experience catagory and am always trying to
increase my speed. Do you have a special technique, or just LOTS of
practice?

Even more to the point, yes, I have noticed the one string sharp thing also.
I use the Accu-Tuner and tune my unisons as I go. Therefore (on an upright)
I tune the center string, the right string (bottom pin) and finally the left
string (top pin). When I am done tuning and I go back just to double check
my unisons carefully, the norm is to find a few (well, maybe a bunch) of
right strings (bottom pin) just a tad (as opposed to a tish - but that just
may be my inexperience) sharper than the other two. I figured I was the only
one able to do that - so my assumption has always been that I was bumbling.
Thanks, I feel better now. I'm going to practice to get from a tad to only a
tish sharp though!

Very interesting question. Being that I am very consistent with this, I have
indeed wondered whether the cause went beyond my special talents. In my case
the sharp string is not the last one tuned as Dale spoke of. Anyone with an
answer? How about something funny from Ron - this might be good material?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com