CA and Bridge Pins

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 00:49:39 -0600

>I have been considering changing to epoxy for smell reasons but as the epoxy
>will not do the wicking for tuning pins and the CA is already in hand
>perhaps the investment in a good mask for breathing will do.
>Joe Goss

Hi Joe,
           If you are tipping the piano, and dropping the tension of the
strings, 5min epoxy and heat is  almost as fast. ( Well not quite, but
quick)  Hot epoxy will wick quite a bit, one advantage is the epoxy can be
trimmed with a sharp chisel very nicely, and easily in the semi plastic
state. I use a small wood carver's chisel to clean the notch when doing
bridge pins.
If you pull the pin, it will act like a piston and force the epoxy into any
cavity, and you can restore the bridge pin angle, and hence side bearing.
I would imagin the compression strength is just as good as the maple.
Clean up with acetone is also easy.
I have come full circle with CA, and bridge repairs. 5 min epoxy in the
field and 24hr epoxy in the shop when not recapping. I now just use the
thin CA for very small hair line cracks.
Roger
Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213