CA and Bridge Pins

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:12:51 -0500

>The point of my origional posting was really whether or not there was anything
>to be gained by leaving the string tension up so as to keep sideways
>pressure on
>the pins while applying this. The thought struck me that it might be
benificial
>to soak as much of this CA into the space created by this tension.

I've always CA'd them with the strings off. I like the idea of getting as
much reinforcement *behind* (lee side, as it were) the bridge pin to better
support the compression under side bearing load. I have no evidence
whatsoever that either way is better, or even ends up being detectably
different. The change is pretty dramatic though, isn't it, even with the
old worn pins still in? Ok, pop quiz time.

Question #1: How much of that surface applied CA got down to the bottom of
that hole and filled up that "critical" gap between hole bottom and pin
bottom? You know the one, it's the world famous "bottom the pin in the hole
to stop the false beats" gap - a close cousin to the credibility gap
wielded so expertly by those with an inordinate fixation on gaps of various
sorts.
(a) 14.2 picadrams, give or take a microblorp
(b) gallons, or at least the better part of three 2oz bottles
(c) none, or at least not enough to even partially fill the gap
(d) that's for you to find out
(e) what the heck's a picadram?

This brings us to question #2: What caused the false beat in the first
place? Was it
(a) Pins not bottomed in the hole
(b) Strings riding up pins
(c) Pins loose in the holes
(d) Pins not in the holes at all
(e) Bad vibes
(f) Ancient Evil Spirits  (AES)

Take your time now, the clock isn't ticking and Ben Stein's out of town for
the week. What are your answers?

Ron N