Prop stick - Yamaha G1

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:43:30 -0400

Hello Jack,

First of all, I would try to determine WHY this is
happening.  I have never, in 46 years, encountered a Yamaha
with stripped out lid prop screws.  This is weird, strange
and unusual enough that you should know so you can prepare
for a repeat or re-educate someone on the limits of the
arrangement.

Second, dowels have end grain at the ends and end grain is
the weakest orientation for a screw.  If you do drill out
the holes you will need to put in plugs cut from wood
perpendicular to the grow rings.  That is the strongest
orientation.

An easier, and super strong, solution is to spray the screws
with a mold release or Elmers GlideAll or McLube's clear
then work some thick CA into the holes and twist the screw
into the wood as far as it will need to go when it is
holding the hinge in place.  Allow to set overnight then
come back and use a hard impact twist on the screw to break
the bond with the glue.  Do this for all three screw holes
and you will have a firm mount for the hinge.  I have used
piano wire to work the CA into the hole on vertical
surfaces.  The glue penetrates the wood quite deeply and
forms new threads that are quite strong.

		Newton