University Sales

JStan40@AOL.COM JStan40@AOL.COM
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 21:57:29 EDT

In a message dated 10/16/00 7:08:03 PM Central Daylight Time, Dave Porritt
writes:

<< Subject: Re: Manufacturer University Deals

 Wim:

 The ethics depends on the dealer.  We have had a loan program at SMU since
 1993 with Baldwin.  The sale is held at the Baldwin dealer's store.  They
 are very up front about every aspect of the sale and our use of the pianos.
  Baldwin has been incredibly good to work with.  With the sale at the
 dealership there's no intimation that the university is selling the pianos.
  The local dealer even sends a tuner to campus to give us the 1st free
 tuning.

 dave

>In St. Louis the Steinway/Baldwin has all the major universities lined up
>hold "university sales, about 4 or 5 times a year. From all accounts, they

>are very successful. The last, several weekend ago, reportedly sold 85
>pianos.
>
>Although as technicians these sales are great, in that over 250 new pianos

>are brought on the market, in reality, they are a rip off for the
consumer.
>The dealer advertises that pianos "used by the university music
department"
>are on sale at "tremendous" savings. As a side note it is mentioned that
>"other" pianos are also available.
>
>All but about 5 or 6 pianos sold are brand new. Yet somehow the consumer
is
>duped into thinking they buying a piano "used" by the university. On top
of
>that, some of them are even led to believe the university is getting some
of
>the proceeds. Many customers who have bought these pianos at university
sales
>actually thought they bought the piano from the university.
>
>The sale prices on these instruments are only slightly below MSRP, but do
not
>include moving or a tuning. In fact, most are not even prepped.
>
>Maybe I am jealous that another dealer is taking away business, but even
>before I was a piano dealer, I didn't think the sales were very ethical.
>
>Willem

Dave, Willem, Clyde, List.....

Here's my take on a controversial subject from the standpoint of a member of
the faculty of one of the departments where such a sale is held yearly.  The
store is local, but large.  The brand  that the school receives the use of
for each year is Yamaha.  We get a lease arrangement (but free) of six to
eight pianos per year, often 2 grands and 5 or 6 uprights, ranging from
P202's to U1's, U3's, GH3 and usually one C3.  We maintain them, but we pay
nothing for their use except allowing the sale yearly, for one three-day
weekend.

They bring in nearly 250 pianos for this sale, and do NOT clearly indicate
which or how many are used at the institution.  Many new pianos are Yamahas
of normal (good) quality.  Others are new sticker pianos of questionable
heritage.  Still others are junkers that were traded in somewhere along the
line and have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere.  Prices are as Willem
suggests--and prices on used pianos are at least double what I'd personally
think valid (but that's only OPINION).

We benefit from this arrangement in that we have fewer pianos to buy each
year.  But I cringe every time I see the name of the institution associated
with a high-pressure sales event in which few, if any, bargains are to be
found, and many sales will be made to the unsuspecting.

Would that people would seek out reputable advice from the members of this
List.  Beyond that, "CAVEAT EMPTOR!"

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL