Capstan Relocation

Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:34:13 +0200

Hi Bill.. Excellent posting, and I thankyou for it. A couple comments..

Bill Ballard wrote:

>  I'm not even convinced of the importance of these "magic lines" (or
> axes, as I belive engineers would prefer to call them).

This was the first thing that struck me on my first real attempt at getting into
this stuff. The magic line between the balance rail pin and whippen center just
didnt seem to be important at all. And setting action spread based on this
seemed a big error. Action spread seemed better set from aligning the
hammershank perpendicular with the jack center. I was left wondering about what
friction concerns this magic line might have.. you seem to deal with that below
so I will get to that there.

> The rep-center/knuckle-contact/hammer-center axis is simply unattainable
> (excepting of course the old Aeolian shanks).

Funny that this should come up just now... I bumbed into an article by Sam
Powell RPT from 93 dealing with this exact subject matter. It makes a very good
case for this second magic line, and for not useing large knuckles due to the
increase in friction between the knuckle and repetition lever the resulting
neccessity of lowering the whippen causes. This of course intrigued me so I got
out my Renner action model and started looking closely at it. This "
rep-center/knuckle-contact/hammer-center axis" as you call it was indeed
unobtainable (unless a few major parameters were changed... hammer bore, an even
smaller knuckle etc)

Another thing I noticed about that second line was that attempting to get the
knuckle to meet that line at letoff (by changing spread alone) was at odds with
spread concerns relating to the hammer shank perpendicular / jack center. The
wider the spread, the higher this second magic line was, yet the spread needs to
be wide enough to keep the jack center off the B- side of the hammershank
perpendicular....

> And I became
> disenchanted with the key-center/heel-contact/rep-center about five
> years ago. I had moved a heel forward, and moved the cap line to
> match, and was wondering whether I should use the Renner heel to
> match the profile of the original (moving the cap-heel contact line)
> over on a horizontal line, diverging from the key-rep axis. My other
> choice was a taller heel which in the new forward position, would
> drop the cap-heel contact back down towards the key-rep axis.

This is exactly what I have done on my Duysen grand... thinking I should play it
safe... "dont screw with the magic line" ( grin  until you know better at any
rate)

> You'd think it would prefer the latter. You'd be wrong. Staying with
> the magic line increased both the BW and the Friction. Both were
> increased simply as a function of the extra weight of the tall heels.
> Keeping a consistent heel height (and weight) avoided this extra
> freight.

Interesting.... next time through I will look very closely at this.

> Sort of like the article which Ken Sloane published in the
> CAUT newsletter about 10 years ago. Found that a Steinway D action
> was cleared of it's "truck-ulance" by switching to 17mm shanks even
> though the jack-center/knuckle-core axis got seriously bent. What
> looks the prettiest doesn't always play the best.

This also is very interesting... especially in light of Sam Powells very fine
argument, and my dinking around with that last night, I must tell you.... it DID
seem like the closer I could get the knuckle / whippen contact point to this
second magic line, the lower the friction there was... very feelable really and
very obvioiusly visable when you look closely at it in movement. Yet it was
impossible to reach... Even lifting the shank up with my finger to string height
left the knuckle well below the line. Only hammer bore or knuckle size could
address that much of the problem (outside of re-designing the whippen itself,,
ie one could bring in the jack center towards the whippen center and shorten the
jack a bit..getting a bit fetched tho...)

> Action efficiency? Yes, you can describe it in terms of the measured
> friction. But once you start measuring changes in friction brought on
> by the various ways to change the way an action is "hung", you
> quickly find that although fooling around with spreads and axes may
> fine tune it for you, the "heavy lifting" (pun intended) is really up
> to this business of tuning mass and leverage in an action.

Hmmm food for thought... Still cant help but think that the best results of
Stannwoodizing an action would be from first assuring best possible top action
spread configuration before dealing with UW/DW and BW measurements... FW, KR,
and WBW can be taken independently. Guess I am just going to have to
"experience" this on my own.

> Yes, I be as shameless in my promotion of the Stanwood Metrology as
> "the other Bill" is about HT.

Well, he's certainly got me very intrigued... but like I say... before going to
take his liscence class I want to work up as good and solid an understanding
about as much of all this as I can. I want to get the most out of that short
time when I get there.

> IMNSHO.

Grin... Humbleness is over rated

--