Star Trekkin' Pianos

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:14:21 -0600

At 08:59 AM 10/13/2000 +0000, Kristinn wrote:

>However, with modern transporter technology the piano might be sal-vegetable.
>Thatīs what Iīve thought about, how are pianos gonna be in the 24th century?
>I remember Picard having a female friend play the "piano", she brought
>with her a keyboard made of plastic that was just rolled up.  She threw it
>open on the floor, played it, and it sounded like a D. :)

That technology is here now, though the problems of playing flat unmoveable
keys is still there. Without external speakers or headphones the sound
would be a little thin though. To make a sound like a D you have to move a
lot of air.

I just wanted to add that in at least one of the Star Trek novels there is
mention of a classical music concert in "10 Forward" played on a *Steinway*
piano. They didn't expand on whether it was transported there from a
Steinway factory ("It's an *Aldeberan* Steinway, Jim!") or was created in
the replicator (that would be an interesting feat!) but the author did
mention the piano's brand by name.

>Northern lights blazing every night,

Even here on the 51st parallel we see them, Kristinn... though not every
night. They were really beautiful the other night. My 83 year old mom
swears she used to listen to them "sing" when she was kid despite what
scientists say!

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
email: john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom