inharmonicity on hex cores

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:46:08 -0600

Hi all,

I had an opportunity today to check this out.

Note d2 on a sherlock-Manning serial # 18998 54" upright. Measurements made
with Reyburn Cyber tuner 22 degrees C. and 32% humidity. Each string was
"zeroed" with a blank tuning record, after tuning aurally for the best
compromise between the strings.

round zero at -14.86 (iron wound)
partial
1	2	3	4	5	6	7	8
0	3.49	5.92	3.31	6.17	9.04	-20.86	11.94

hex zero at -8.76 (copper wound)
0	2.07	5.02	1.83	-10.17	5.41	-23.63	8.99

It would appear that inharmonicity is lower in the hex core string. Or
perhaps it is the iron winding? For those that might understand the I
subscript c reading from Pianalzyer was:

round
0	0.83	0.41	0.16	0.28	0.19	0.17	0.18

hex
0	1.96	0.85	0.35	0.27	0.19	0.20	0.18

I don't think there is a way to *zero* the pitch difference with
pianalyzer. I don't really understand the second set of readings myself.
Comments?

Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.htmlplanet.com/