separated back

Douglasmahard@AOL.COM Douglasmahard@AOL.COM
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 08:17:06 EDT

In a message dated 10/11/2000 7:10:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
cedel@supernet.com writes:

 Today I am going to look at a piano I might obtain and repair.  It is a
 1947 Cable console with a separated back, a gap of about 1/2 inch, and
 it has an aluminum plate.  I tuned this piano a couple times 5-6 years
 ago.  Not being very observant, I guess, I didn't notice the separation
 until the third time I went to tune; it had wood veneer glued across the
 top.  If I recall correctly, it's a pretty little thing, a shame to
 discard, but Cable pianos aren't rated very high in my mind.

 I've repaired back separations several times, with good success, but
 never one with such a large separation.  What are my chances of pulling
 this gap together without the aluminum plate cracking?  Should I even
 attempt it?  Input appreciated.

 Regards,
 Clyde Hollinger, RPT

 Hi Clyde,

In my mind, the alum. plate is more forgiving then cast iron, i.e., it flexes
easier.  If you're unsure on how to proceed perhaps explaining to the
customer that a half hour to an hour of your time will be needed to see
exactly if you can pull the crack together.  That way if for some reason the
separation won't close up you've put it in their mind that some of your time
is required to find out if the piano will go back together.  And if it does
strong bar clamps you should be able to pull this together.  Naturally,
you'll want to drop the tension of the strings a bit.  It sounds like you
have done this proceeder before on other pianos and I'm trusting you know the
proceeder or can search the archives for it.
Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Doug