Damper Ringing

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 21:25:25 -0400

Had a negative experience today. Don't get many in this business.

I got a call the other day from a lady with a 1972 Story & Clark console
(good condition) that I had tuned this past August. She said the piano seems
louder that before I tuned it and it kinda echos. I figured I must have
adjusted the damper pedal a bit too tight and the dampers were not fully
seating. I have tuned the piano twice. I went to the piano today. The
dampers were indeed not effectively stopping bass string vibration. The left
pedal for the bass dampers was a bit too tight - there was no play in the
pedal. So I let a little play into that pedal and let a bit more into the
sustain pedal just to be sure that my adjustments were not too tight. These
adjustments seemed to make for less ringing, although there is definately
still more ringing than normal (if I mute the bass strings with my hand
there is no ringing).

The piano owner says it didn't ring before I tuned it last. I certainly
don't remember if it did or not. My guess is most people that own console
pianos would not consider the ringing a problem. But it definately does
ring. It would drive me nuts (I guess it is!). I told her that I didn't do
anything with the dampers and it is most likely that they were ringing
before I tuned it - she just may notice it now because the pedal was a bit
tight and that made it ring more.

Her bass dampers are just beginning to buzz when you release the key, and
the damper springs seem quite weak to me. It doesn't suprise me that they
ring. I told her that to fix it, she would have to replace damper felt and
springs.

My question is: Is there anything I could have done that has made a
non-ringing piano have damper leaks? This is really bugging me, because I
think it is likely that she thinks I goofed up her piano. I always want to
make right anything I might screw up. Thanks for any thoughts.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com