aural - sounds nice?

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Thu, 05 Oct 2000 13:56:22 GMT

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote-
Subject: Re:  aural - sounds nice?
<<I'd bet that most instruments tuned
in an hour or so aren't as close to ET as the tuner intended.>>
Ok point made Ron...now name one temperament that would meet the "intended"
criteria.FSNNJim Bryant (FL)------------------------------

Hi Jim, and all-

This comes down to 'targeting'.  If you picture ET as a straight line (equal
width of thirds) ANY deviation will make that line no longer straight.  If,
however you picture a curve (the steeper the easier to hit) slight
deviations still maintain the overall shape of the curve, the relationship
of the thirds to each other (more pure at top of circle of 5ths, less pure
at the bottom.  So, I may not 'hit' Young's temperament if I try, but it
will still play and work as a well-tempered tuning.

My interest in temperaments grew out of a desire to make everyday pianos
play better for clients, or their kids.  If I'm only going to spend an hour
on the tuning portion of the service call, my limit for that instrument may
only be to get it to within 1 or even 2 cents of where I'm aiming. (assuming
huge pitch adjustment).

So, any of the temperaments with about a 2-3.5 cent offset max would allow
me with a margin of error to make a curve where the thirds progress through
the circle.

Also, Jay wrote-
As far as equal temperament sounding good - I recently serviced a Yamaha C-5
on the concert stage that was tuned one month prior to my service call, and
I would have to say it was the finest, most accurate equal temperament I've
heard in 7 years of tuning.  I didn't touch the temperament, tightened up
some unisons and presented the bill.
Anything less, I would have performed what I think sounds best in my short 7
years of tuning - the EBVT.Jay MercierGlenwood, MN

I think on the concert stage you are more likely to find a good and even ET
than in the home setting.  I know I spend more time on a concert instrument
getting it even than some of the other instruments I run across. (Maybe I
should run OVER a few! :)  )

Ron Koval
Chicagoland

.