Clean unisons

Linda Stråhle linda.laserbeam@home.se
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 23:20:49 +0200

Hello Dear List,

I had a fun complaint on a tuning today, that it was too clean.
I discussed it with a person who is not a tuner but has been in the =
recording business for a very long time. So I tried to understand what =
he meant and it was the unisons. We also discussed temperament and =
strech. He had heard several of my tunings. It is in a recordingstudio =
and I tune there one or two times every week. So I wanted to take the =
critic seriousely.
The instrument is a Bosendorfer grand, I don=B4t remember the model but =
it is 220 or 230 cm. Two years old, and in resonably good shape. ( lucky =
lucky me who tunes this instrument!!)
After listening to the CD and the instrument I could see his point. But =
I did not agree that is was too clean, I just thought it sounded good.
=20
I have always followed the idea that I try to tune as "clean" as =
possible. To do the best I can with every note. To make it stand still.

Can one tune to "clean"?
This is my question:
-Are there any techniques for tuning colourful unisons, or wide =
unisons??
=20
Should I just leave them a little moving??

( Or not think about this at all, and just do my way..? )

curious,

Linda Str=E5hle
Malmo=20
Sweden