Aural?

Ed Kucharczyk ek@bestweb.net
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:17:49 -0400

Hi, I've been following this list for awhile and will be joining soon as an
associate. From the posts I see that their are a number of people that tune
aurally and others that use ETD's.

I think that they're are advantages and disadvanges to both methods so
whatever makes your boat float use it.  However, although I've only been
tuning for 6 months now I find that I get the best results by using a
combination of both methods. I find that although I was a professional piano
player for over 30 years and have an excellent ear, I don't trust it 100% in
setting the temperment. I also find that if I only use and ETD, my
musician's ear still doesn't like the way the piano sounds. So, I use a
combination of both.

I use an ETD (Korg model mt1200) which I find to be very efficient and
accurate to set the temperment. Once the temperment is set, I put it away
and tune the rest of the piano aurally. By doing it this way, I find that
the temperment is set both accurately and quickly and then my musician's ear
tells me the piano is not only in tune but also sounds naturally pleasing to
the ear.

I hope I'm not out of line with this post but I think that this combination
really makes for a great sounding piano and I have more customers that tell
me their piano sounds better than its ever been and includes the piano store
where I work as the floor tuner.

Ed