Choosing Steinway D

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 20:58:23 EDT

In a message dated 10/3/00 1:46:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
lafargue@iamerica.net writes:

<< I will be at Steinway Hall in a few weeks and I am helping a church choose
 piano.  I have been to the factory and Steinway Hall and I'm familiar with
 what I will be hearing as far as differences between pianos, but my question
 is: What, if any, _other_ things should I be looking at and possibly
 listening to to help me choose the "best" one. I understand that prep work
 may still need to be done to improve each one and that further voicing will
 change them.  It will be in a 1500 seat church with amplification used. I'm
 wondering if certain aspects of the manufacturing process, fit of parts,
 condition of piano in it's new condition may help me to narrow down the
 field.  Again, anything other than how they sound/play on the floor.  I hope
 my question is clear.  Thanks.

 Lance Lafargue, RPT >>

There are 3 things I tell my customers to look for when they are looking to
buy a piano. How does it feel, how does it sound, and how does it look? I
then tell them that when a concert artist is given a piano to use by
Steinway, the artist plays 6 or 7 grands in Steinway Hall, all made by the
same people, under the same conditions, using the same parts, etc. Yet the
concert artist will find slight differences in each piano: a little firmer
action in one, a slightly harsher tone in another, etc..

I would recommend you get the church piano player to spend time playing each
one of the pianos. He will tell you which one he likes. What you do the piano
after that will not make much difference.  He feels and hears a lot more than
you can change.

Just my 2 cents worth

Willem