felt knuckles????

Tue, 3 Oct 2000 08:49:21 -0700

> Dense white felt with a wood core like regular knuckles.
>
> Just imagine a miniature hammer in the shape of a knuckle that has no give
> in it whatsoever.  So far, it has retain it's shape and hasn't developed
> any flatness or indication of wear!
>
> Keith McGavern
> Registered Piano Technician
> Oklahoma Chapter 731
> Piano Technicians Guild
> USA

Yes, the felt was made quite like hammer felt and was machined to shape.
Somewhere in my bag of tricks I have a strip or two of the stuff I picked up
either at Steinway or at Bacon Felt, I don't remember which.

My experience also was that it retained its shape quite nicely and did not
wear much.

Would you, perhaps, further share your experiences with these knuckles?

Regards,

Del