Steinway bushings - verdigris

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 19:51:01 -0700

The reason not to use it is what it does to the birdseye.  Another one of
those ideas that because of consistency is not worth the time.  Repin!

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Hans E. Sanders
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2000 4:59 PM
To: sckline@home.com; pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Steinway bushings - verdigris

Susan,
Four days ago I just finished easing a whole set of tight hammer shank
flanges in a Steinway Grand by applying "Protek" with a syringe. At first, I
thought it worked wonderful. Two days later, however, the same centers were
tighter than before. So I used my 15 Watts soldering iron with a fine tip
and figured out after a few trials, 5 seconds each side of the tight center
pins just brought it back to 5 swings. I rechecked this today and it seems
to work fine. I will check it again after a couple of days. Why it works
many times but not all times is still a riddle to me. By the way, I taught
this procedure twice at the National Conventions and I am convinced there is
a good use with this procedure. I will be glad to send you my Syllabus about
my class "Verdigris, a Piano Cancer we can live with" by regular mail. Let
me know if interested.

Hans Sander, RPT
U of Louisville, School of Music

>>> sckline@home.com 09/29/00 08:45AM >>>
At 11:12 PM 09/28/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Had excellent results in freeing up a very sluggish action by heating the
>hammer flange pins with a soldering iron. My question to those who have
>done this: How long can this freed-up condition be expected to last?
>The owner plans to have this 81 year old S&S rebuilt in 3-4 years, so is
>hoping to keep it going til then. My inspiration for the heat remedy came
>from postings some time ago on this most informative list. Thanks &
>regards,  Henry Kopek, RPT Chicago Chapter

I once used Mehaffey's "zapper" on hopelessly seized S&S hammer flanges,
which had been totally soaked with something oily by some unknown
protagonist. I think the oil speeds up the verdigris process. It's too bad
that the first signs of verdigris are usually treated with lubricants
rather than repinning. Though not a "cure", I think that early repinning
and not adding anything oily would give longer service before the
inevitable parts replacement.

The zapper heats the center pin by an electrical current. These parts also
were about to be replaced, and the owners wanted a year's use out of them
first. They moved away, so I don't know the long-term effects, but the
flanges got a little too loose, as vaporized oil bubbled and fumed off in
little bursts of smoke. There was some clicking afterwards, but no
sluggishness.

The concern about heating the center pin enough to free the action is that
it also chars the birdseye. I don't think heating should be done except on
parts that are already slated for demolition.

Susan