Steinway bushings - verdigris

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 19:28:55 -0500

>Susan,
>Four days ago I just finished easing a whole set of tight hammer shank
>flanges in a Steinway Grand by applying "Protek" with a syringe. At first,
>I thought it worked wonderful. Two days later, however, the same centers
>were tighter than before...
>Hans Sander, RPT

In order for Protek to be effective in these situations, you have to get
physical with the flanges as well.  By removing each wippen /hammer
assembly and working them to death [back & forth & sideways] will free the
verdigris resistance.

There might be some follow-up work, but not much for an actively played piano.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild