Hitch Pin Placement

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 22:37:28 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2000 8:17 PM
Subject: Re: Hitch Pin Placement

> >Hi Ron, thanks for writing. Yes, they are the first five notes/10 strings
in
> >the low tenor. The hitch pins are set off to the bass side of the bass
> >bridge area. I guess that would be on the bass side of the bass-most
strut -
> >the one that begins and ends adjacent to A0.
>

> If you have room to get around the strut, you could relocate them, but
> you'd probably want to move them forward and/or back into fresh iron so
you
> don't make a nice little "crack along here" perf in the plate with all the
> new holes. If you can't move them because the strut is in the way, the
> holes under the strut can be drilled from the underside, and the hitch
> driven up to height from the back side (if there's room, I've seen plenty
> of plates where this was done).

I have lots of foom forward, back and to either side. Good point to not
drill out a line of holes!

>Then again, was there any indication that
> it was a problem the way it was? There are some mechanical benefits to the
> "fix", sure, but I think it's a toss up as to whether it's worth the
> trouble for time spent against performance achieved.

>From a physical standpoint, it appears there was no problem (bridge rolling
or cracking). From a performance (can I use that word for a grand less than
5 feet long?) standpoint I dunno. Most of the strings were rusted off when I
first saw the piano. The other broke when I hit a key.

> Cosmetically, it's
> certainly worth the trouble because it will gnaw at you forever if you
> don't try to whip it into line while you have the chance. You know it
will,
> because it already is. <G>

No, way will this bother me.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....... no, I don't
find.......aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh...... any problem leaving
it..........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........as it was!

> Meanwhile, maybe you can get Richard B to fire up that anvil crusher just
> outside the window when you chip it to pitch.

Hugh???????????  Thanks oodles!

> Ron N

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service