Hitch Pin Placement

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 02 Oct 2000 19:17:24 -0500

>Hi Ron, thanks for writing. Yes, they are the first five notes/10 strings in
>the low tenor. The hitch pins are set off to the bass side of the bass
>bridge area. I guess that would be on the bass side of the bass-most strut -
>the one that begins and ends adjacent to A0.

If you have room to get around the strut, you could relocate them, but
you'd probably want to move them forward and/or back into fresh iron so you
don't make a nice little "crack along here" perf in the plate with all the
new holes. If you can't move them because the strut is in the way, the
holes under the strut can be drilled from the underside, and the hitch
driven up to height from the back side (if there's room, I've seen plenty
of plates where this was done). Then again, was there any indication that
it was a problem the way it was? There are some mechanical benefits to the
"fix", sure, but I think it's a toss up as to whether it's worth the
trouble for time spent against performance achieved. Cosmetically, it's
certainly worth the trouble because it will gnaw at you forever if you
don't try to whip it into line while you have the chance. You know it will,
because it already is. <G>

Meanwhile, maybe you can get Richard B to fire up that anvil crusher just
outside the window when you chip it to pitch.

Ron N