Schaff buys American Piano Supply

Roger C Hayden rchayden2@juno.com
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 20:52:07 -0400

Hi Susan,

I dislke duplicity, too.  And I will show folks the price list and on
larger ticket items I tell them that there is a normal profit margin
built into that price.  For little stuff, it's not worth mentioning.
When you see a price in a store, do you think that's what they paid for
it?  Of course not, they, too, are in business for profit.

A normal profit margin is nothing to apologize for.  Furniture is more
than that.  Jewelry, often3 or four times cost.  Clothing at list is at
least double the cost, it must be or the stores can't stay in business.
And half price and 1/3 price sales are usually possible because they've
made their money and need to simply recoup capital in order to buy the
next season's fashions.

I pleases me to show customers a printed list.  It verifies that I am NOT
making something up, not just poking numbers at them.  It also makes
sales easier because I don't have to remember what I quoted them last
time, it's right there in the book.  What I hate is digging out a price
list and trying to hide while I look at my cost, figure a profit margin,
add labor and give them a price.  Openess helps sales.  (I sold Life
Insurance once upon a time.)

I've encouraged Damp Chaser to print price guidelines.  It will increase
sales.  When I go into a store and don't see prices I am inclined not to
buy.  If I drove in with the nice car, it might be one price, if I came
in the '89 Camry, another price.  That's the duplicity I hate.  And to
stand in a sumptuously appointed 25 by 30 foot living room next to a new
Steinway B and SHOW a price list assures you are not being unduly
influenced.  Credibility maintained.  Reputation kept.  There is nothing
more precious than a good name.  (Although keeping it perfect is
impossible, things happen, like violent weather shifts, etc. . . . . . .)

Roger Hayden, RPT

On Mon, 02 Oct 2000 09:09:57 -0700 Susan Kline <sckline@home.com> writes:
> Sorry I wasn't clearer ... I do not object to marking up prices! I
> was objecting to showing customers an inflated price list and
> letting them
> assume it was our cost! It was the DECEIT I objected to, not the
> markup!
>
> (Clear now, I hope??)
>
> Susan

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!