Steam voicing on concert instruments

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:58:04 -0600

>Sorry if this has been been discussed, but what about for voicing TOP of
>the class instruments?

Hi Kristinn,
                  Quite frequently I will very lightly and quickly, steam
the crown of  the heavily used concert grands at the University, to take
the sting out of the attack. Just have the cloth slightly damp.
I have found that it will 'pop' out the compression grooves and forstalls
reshaping and a major voicing job.
I also use steam on newly hung Renner blues, to get the tonal results in
the ball park, before doing the finishing work with needles.  Saves a lot
of time.
Roger
Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.