how high(low) do you go?

Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:50:46 -0500

List -

Another first...

Went to tune a piano to a pipe organ at a church, and found the pipe
organ 28 cents SHARP!  Yep, sharp....And it was JUST tuned....I am more
accustomed to 15-20 cents flat.  Anyway.... I convinced the music
director that tuning the piano that high was not advisable, and he agreed
to A-440.

Which brings up the following query...

How high are you willing to tune a piano, when circumstances require it?
A-442 would be about 8 cents high, right?  I assume you would go there?
Would you go 10 cents?  15?

Conversely, when tuning to a pipe organ, as mentioned, I find that
typically they are 15-20 cents low, although I have one within 4 cents
(sometimes).  My question here is more oriented to the use of 'other'
instruments when tuned this low....i.e., how low can OTHER instruments be
expected to 'play along' with tunings that are below A-440?  5 cents? 10
cents?  15 cents?  Just how long ARE the mouth pieces of most wind
instruments?  Can they be expected to elongate themselves as much as 18
cents to match a pipe organ and still be playable?   Any wind players out
there?

Looking for parameters...

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com