Alcohol and water

Dan Hallett Jr. dhalle@toolcity.net
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:12:48 -0500

Tom:

I've seen it give immediate results, and take a while to give results. This
was an 87 year old woman who was giving herself the tuning as a Christmas
present. If the hair dryer didn't work (which it did) the next steps were as
Susan Kline posted.

Dan Hallett

From: Tom Cole <tcole@cruzio.com>
Subject: Re: Sluggish Aeolian Spinet Action

Dan,

Are you expecting the alcohol and water approach to give immediate
results? That has never been my experience. And if you have to do it in
the field, it might be easier to tell the customer to let it sit
overnight and check it the next day. I've heard that air drying is
preferable to hurrying it along with a hair drier.

Normally, I'll remove the action to my shop where I can inspect for
really tight centers (which I might ream and repin if a few really stand
out as being _tight_). Then I'll mix up an alcohol and water solution to
a strength according to how tight the centers are (don't ask for numbers
- - strictly by whim).

If the treatment works, I'll put Protek on all the centers for
insurance. If not, I'll use a stronger solution before the final lubing.

Tom Cole