Twangy pianos + stringing

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 22:46:46 -0500

Hi Tony,

The old twisty bass strings did so for one or both of two
reasons.  The core was taken off a small diameter coil and
the back pressure on the copper was too high giving excess
crush and maybe tone lock.

If the tension of the core on the lathe is too little the
coils will not separate well at tension and the whip of the
string can cause varying amounts of crush and falseness.

If the tension is too great the coils of the wrap will not
separate enough to give good flexibility to the strings.
Deadness.

I have heard good sounding strings without a twist, which
surprised me, but I do twist my bass string 360 after I make
the coil.

There are so many variables we can only strive to control
those we can and hope for the best.

Mysteries inside mysteries inside mysteries.

Try to learn what does work and follow the success of the
masters.  Understanding will follow someday, hopefully.

		Newton