Keytop Mat'l, thickness + sspppppppelllllling

Walter Gramza gramza@net.bluemoon.net
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 20:36:51 -0500

Most generally a thicker keytop of either .060 or .075 or possibly .095 is
used because most of the old pianos had ivory on them and plastic of a
thicker variety is generally available today and is much easier to keep
clean and ivory is outlawed and if available would be so costly to us as
the technician that we might have to take out a second mortgage on our
houses to pay for the ivory and the customer would never be willing to pay
the price to recover our cost let alone make any proffit on the job.
The keys themselves are cut down somewhat to compensate for the thicker
keytop so that the key stop rail,  fall-board,  doesn't push them down when
being opened or closed.  If you need a facility to do the work please feel
to contact me for further information at Gramza@bluemoon.net