Twangy pianos + stringing

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 19:28:05 -0600

>END OR PART ONE. -Joe

Hi Joe, Part one, definitely part one: <G>
Just curious where the twist strengthening thing came from. Since I can't
think of any reason that would work, I'll have to remain unconvinced
pending some actual testing. I hope you understand. Now the false beat
thing is something else altogether. Since I've had plenty of hands on
experience with installing strings, accidentally twisted and otherwise, and
since I've intentionally twisted strings and intentionally not twisted them
during installation as a quickie test of this theory, I can't buy that one
either. Sorry again, but I can't hear any difference at all between twisted
and untwisted ones. If there is a cause and effect relationship there, it
seems like I ought to be able to produce the effect by initiating the
cause. If I can't, then that isn't it. I find false beats to be mostly
caused by loose bridge pins, demonstrated by pressing something
(screwdriver blade, quarter, tongue depressor, key ) against the pin and
listening as the beat stops. I've heard and read all the other theories,
but when it comes down to chasing false beats in an actual piano, I haven't
seen any evidence at all that it's happening because the strings are
twisted, in spite of what the illustrious Dr White wrote in the book.
Apologies to the late Dr White too, but that's the way it is. Along these
lines, I don't see any reason an un twisted wire is any less apt to beat,
since the beat doesn't result from the twist.

Understand that I'm not talking about cranking four turns in a wire on
installation, but the up to a half turn necessary to point the tuning pin
in the right direction after winding the coil. I suppose it's possible to
mess one up that way, but I haven't tried it.

Dinner time approaches. I'm off to bite the bird.
Regards,
Ron N